Total Pageviews

Monday, September 12, 2011

9/11: 10 Years later...


Come senators, congressmen
Please heed the call
Don't stand in the doorway
Don't block up the hall
For he that gets hurt
Will be he who has stalled
There's a battle outside
And it is ragin'
It'll soon shake your windows
And rattle your walls

For the times they are a-changin'.
-- Bob Dylan

I'll never forget that dreadful day when the World stood still and watched in horror as 2 planes crashed right into the World Trade Center, in NYC. 9/11 was the day that shook our nation and showed us what it was like to experience fear for the very first time.

Of course, I was at school, innocently learning what I needed to learn for a day's worth of 4th grade education. It was just like any other day when you never needed a care in the world and all you had to do was be yourself; have lunch with your friends, read stories, write in your little journal book, learn mathematics, etc.

But when it was time to go home, and when the bus dropped me off, I was immediately brought back to reality-- the reality of the horrors that millions of Americans had to go through. How did I find out, you might ask? Well, after I got off the bus, my dad immediately opened the front door for me and informed me of what happened to the World Trade Center. It went like this:

Dad: "Jeremy, do you remember the World Trade Center?"

Me: "??"

Dad: "It's gone."

Me: "World Trade Center?"

Dad: "The World Trade Center is the Twin Towers. Remember the Twin Towers?!"

Me: "Yeah! What happened?"

Dad: "They were destroyed. That's what happened."

So I rushed to the television and was immediately captivated in the horror of I was witnessing on National TV; footage of people running, clouds of dust infesting the whole city, etc.

I'll never forget what happened the rest of that week. On Wednesday, the Faculty announced what happened; on Thursday, there was a Presidental address from George Bush himself (before he made the gravest mistake and invading Iraq), and on Friday, my youth group and I attended some kind of 9/11 gathering revival, or something.

Anyway, what happened that day really changed my outlook on life. It showed me what it was like to cope with an event that took the whole world by surprise and what humanity was all about-- working together, making the world a better place, and standing up for what you believe. All in all, the aftermath of 9/11 kinda helped instill that God still exists and is watching over us, and is still working within people to help bring them hope and light at the end of the tunnel.

10 years later...our country and economy is still rapidly changing, Bin Laden (the mastermind behind 9/11) is now dead, the War on Terror is now coming to a close, Barack Obama is now President of the United States, and Homeland Security has been more tighter and uncompromising of terrorism than ever before.

I actually rediscovered on old book written by Christian Apologist, Josh McDowell-- More than a Carpenter [post-9/11 edition]. I'm thinking of taking a look back on it to see if it holds up or not, if I ever decide to recommend it.

Anyway, what would an art blog be if I didn't post art? This one goes out to anybody whose experience 9/11. This piece was actually inspired by a picture I saw on Tom Ruegger's blog, Cartoonatics. His picture is worth checking out too. :)


Remeber: never shall we forget the bravery and courage of the men and women who fought to save the lives of thousands of innocent civilians, who were trapped inside the Twin Towers, shortly after the plans crashed.

Never shall we forget the day when our country was attacked, but we still stood strong in the midst of the chaos.

Never shall we forget that there is a God of love and mercy watching over us, showing us the way to go through his son, Jesus Christ.

9/11: Never 4Get!

No comments:

Post a Comment